Thursday 1 December 2011

Definitely Maybe - Oasis

I owe a lot to this album, along with Blur's 'Parklife'. More of that later though.
I'd not been living in Leeds long when my Dad, who has always had his ear close to the ground musically, mentioned that there was this new group playing at a small venue in the town centre and perhaps I should check them out. I didn't - there must've been something good on telly that night! Anyway, as you might've guessed, that band were Oasis. Obviously they went on to sell quite a few records and become more than a little popular. I'd missed out big-time and have been kicking myself ever since. To catch them in their ascendency would've been amazing.
In fairness, I only really like this album and the follow up 'What's The Story (Morning Glory)?' as they became a cross between a Beatles tribute band and a pastiche of themselves. Eventually they would blot their copy book with me by pulling out of a support slot with R.E.M. They were too small to be anything but headlining acts, apparently.
So why do I owe a debt to this album? In 1994-1995 I went through a bit of a rough patch and had problems driving alone. It became a very stressful and nervous experience. The solution I found was to play this album at a loud volume; the sheer swagger and confidence of the songs giving me strength to get from A to B.
And what songs they are! Full on Rock 'n Roll. It is hard to pick a favourite track but if pressed on the matter I would have to say 'Columbia' tops then all - a driving rhythm, distorted guitars and great vocal make this Oasis' best song. The others are almost as good though.
Ignore their later albums, public squabbles, questionable ethics and overblown public image and listen to the first two albums. Fresh, vibrant, relevant and masterful. So let's hear it ........Shhhiiiinnne!

No comments:

Post a Comment