Monday 5 December 2011

Heaven Or Las Vegas - Cocteau Twins

I swear down that when I first heard this album I though the lead vocalist was singing in a foreign language. Admittedly I had copied a mate's CD onto a cheap hissy C90 but even so.....
After several listens through I started to hear what I thought were proper words....but even then I wasn't sure. I'm still not. Even if you do manage to make out the odd word here or there, it still won't make sense. I don't think it is supposed to. I wish some bands that write bloody awful lyrics would take the same approach. Don't believe me? Take this recent example from pop sensation 'One Direction'... 'Baby you light up my world like nobody else. The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed'. Convinced? You should be. I could go on. But I'll spare you the anguish. If they had taken the Cocteau's approach and mixed the vocals way back in the mix I would've been spared the risky business of driving down the motorway whilst trying to stuff an empty Mars Bar wrappers into my ears. Yes I appreciate that I could've turned the radio off but that would've been admitting defeat.
I suppose I could, in this modern age go off and Google the lyrics to this album it. But I feel that might somehow spoil the fantastical feel of the album. Once you accept Liz Frasier's voice as just being another instrument, rather than straining to decipher the lyrics, you can let the music do the talking, as it were.
I've not heard anything else by the Cocteau Twins, either before or after this album, but I can't imagine them being able to top this album. Lovely chiming flanged guitars, double tracked vocals and melodic base lines give this album an ethereal feel. Listen to it and don't try and understand it and I promise you'll get on fine together.


No comments:

Post a Comment