Thursday 8 December 2011

Greatest Hits - ABBA

Firstly, I have to own up and admit that I have a soft spot for ABBA. Not that I am a huge fan or anything, but every time I hear one of their songs I can't help but smile.
Secondly, this is a little bit of a cheat as I don't actually own this CD - instead I have compiled a playlist from the albums that I have. Why cheat? Well this album was my absolute favourite when I was 5 or 6 years old and it's fair to say that I was obsessed with it. The biggest mistake my parents made was buying me a Philips portable cassette player. It now meant that I could listen to ABBA's Greatest Hits wherever I went, particularly in the car. I used to sit in the back of the Mini and play this tape on journeys long or short. This was in the days before proper car stereos you understand so there was no alternative. It must've drove my parents and sister barmy. I can only apologise to them wholeheartedly!
But what classic songs they are. Even though this album was released in 1975, well before the big hits started rolling in, it still shows just how inventive and skilled they were as song writers....and this wasn't even their native language.
The peak of my ABBA-mania would arrive in 1977 when I got 'The Name Of The Game' 7"single for Christmas. With its bright orange paper sleeve (on the Epic label) has became, and remains, one of my favourite songs.
I think everyone, whether they admit to it or not, has a fondness for at least one ABBA song. Admit it, go and download it, listen to it and I guarantee you will feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment