Sunday 4 December 2011

Disintegration - The Cure

I think it's fair to say that 'Disintegration' is not a party album, unless of course you like to go to parties where the revellers shuffle around, stare at the floor and grumble to themselves about how miserable they feel. Maybe you do, in which case this is the very album you need to kick start your misery-fest.
Now before any Cure fans out there, and I'm thinking of one in particular, take umbrage at that, I have to say that I really like this album. A lot. In fact I would go as far as to say that it's magnificent, glorious, melacholic and feels very comfortable in its gloomy outlook. There are some lighter moments on the album, for example the lead single 'Lullaby' which reached number 5 in the singles charts, but even that talks about being eaten by The Spiderman. Somehow I just can't imagine that ever winning X-Factor!
Not all Cure albums are like this. In their poppier moments, you might even feel your feet start to move and the corners of your mouth start to lift. Don't worry, this is normal and you are not ill - it's called happiness.
Although I really like this album, I never really 'got' The Cure. Despite the efforts of the aforementioned Cure fan, who has played me most of their albums several times over the years, I've just failed to make that connection. I do like a lot of their albums but there just seems to be something missing for me. Maybe it was the hair or lipstick? Who knows.
Anyway, I've got to go and give this one more listen today. I am feeling far too happy and that just won't do!


No comments:

Post a Comment