Friday 23 March 2012

The Best Of David Bowie 1974 - 1979

There is a huge hole in my music collection and it's Bowie shaped. I've got absolutely no idea how this sorry state of being came to be. Not a clue. It's really embarrassing that amongst my tens of hundreds of CDs that the only Bowie album I can muster is a greatest hits collection. In my defence, albeit a feeble one, I've been aware that the hole was there and did mean to rectify the omission but.... well I just never got around to it. Even when I kept reading about the seminal albums he created with Eno and how important they were to the progression of the popular music art form I still never managed to follow up this interest and go out and buy them. Time rolled on and now at the mature age of Forty (err mumble cough) the hole is still there. Big, bold and Bowie shaped.

For goodness sake, I even enjoyed the Tin Machine album, which in itself must put me in an elite group of people, although admittedly it was my Dad's CD. But alas still no Bowie originals in my collection. How embarrassing. How can a serious music aficionado look anyone in the eye knowing that the don't have any real Bowie albums. So by all means call me a charlatan, a fake or downright ignorant. I deserve it.

It seems a truly pointless statement but this is a great collection of songs. Well it would be wouldn't it, as it cherry picks the hits from one of his most critically acclaimed and productive periods. Not a duff track on the entire CD. Again.....pointless statement IT'S A GREATEST HITS PACKAGE!!

Right I've been shamed long enough. I need to sort this out so I'm resolved that the next time I'm on-line or passing a record boutique I'm going to purchase 'Low', 'Heroes' and 'Station to Station'. This time I meant it. Honest. Maybe even 'Let's Dance' and 'Scary Monsters'. Why stop there? Let's go the whole hog and buy 'Ziggy', 'Hunky Dory', 'Diamond Dogs' and 'Tin Machine II'...errr let's stop there.


No comments:

Post a Comment