Thursday 15 December 2011

Under The Backlight - Rilo Kiley

Rilo Kiley are one of my best 'finds' but that probably says more about my lack of exposure to new music than their obscurity.
In December 2007 I plonked myself down in front of the TV to watch Later with Jools Holland. Whilst the programme had its usual excellent mix of artists there was nothing that really grabbed my attention. That was until Rilo Kiley appeared. I would like to think that it was the quality of the music that caught my attention, but it was more than likely due to the fact that the singer, Jenny Lewis, was wearing a black leotard and sparkly pants. Yes we blokes are that shallow!
But ultimately it is the sheer quality of the songwriting and inventiveness of the music that was to have a lasting effect. Following the show I immediately went out and bought this album, shortly followed by all of the others, naturally.
Although this album is their most mainstream, it's a musically diverse affair - almost as if they couldn't make their minds up which genre to play. Try 'The Angels Hung Around' (50s rock), 'Breakin Up' (80s pop) or 'Close Call' (Alt rock). Plus everything in between. 'Silver Lining' is the song that caught my attention on Jools so it is, and will probably remain, my favourite Rilo Kiley track.
Their other albums are more coherent but this one really does show that whatever musical style they turn their hands to, they make it sound like their own.
You will no doubt read about their other albums, and those by Ms Lewis, later in my blog but for the time being I recommend you seek out the footage of the Jools programme. Especially if you are partial to leotards and sparkly pants!


No comments:

Post a Comment