Tuesday 13 December 2011

All Change - Cast

Cast arose out of the ashes of The La's and, despite John Powers' former band only releasing one album, it was such a revered debut that some doubted whether they could escape unfavourable comparisons.
Within seconds of hearing the opening bars of 'Finetime' I don't think this was ever in doubt. It's a storming single and set the scene for the rest of the album.
For me though, of the two debuts, The La's album edges it. But only just. if I have one criticism of the album, it's that it has a 'hidden' track. I don't think they are in vogue at the moment but they were a right pain in the ass during the mid nineties onwards. Even more so with music being converted into MP3s as the unwanted silence takes up storage space. And it mucks up playlists. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be taken and......[takes deep breath]........sorry where was I?
I have only managed to see Cast once and that was as a support band to U2 at Roundhay Park in Leeds in 1997. It was not a good experience as the heavens opened, despite it being August, and we all got drenched. Not idea viewing conditions or, for that matter, playing conditions.
So, courtesy of a spare ticket from NR, I'm off to see Cast again later this week. With a new album on the horizon and a stellar back catalogue it'll hopefully be a top night out. And being indoors I should stay dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment