Tuesday 27 December 2011

Bringing It All Back Home - Bob Dylan

Remember the advert for Maxell tapes in the 80s? You know - the one where a bloke stands in the middle of the street and holds up cue cards with the wrong lyrics? Well even though the song used was not a Dylan one, the advert was heavily influenced by him; being based upon the promo clip for 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' and being funny in the process.
....and this succinctly demonstrates how much influence Dylan has had on popular music. It is so engrained that many won't even realise that this is the case.
For the casual admirer, such as myself, I recognise the influence and the craft of the songwriting but can't quite connect as well as I should. And it is not through a want of trying.
This album was one that I used to play when I lived at home - and when my Dad was out. After all I wouldn't want to admit to an aficionado that I had a secret admiration for Bob! It's a great album with classic Dylan tracks such as 'Mr. Tambourine Man', 'It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)' and 'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue'. A great album to start cultivating an appreciation...but I got no further, other than a greatest hits album.
My Dad and I saw him perform in Manchester a while ago and it struck me how mixed the audience was - young and old, male and female in approximately equal measures; highlighting the widespread appeal of Dylan.
On the strength of listening to this album today I have bought 'Blonde On Blonde'. Time to have another crack at becoming more of a Dylan fan......wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment