Monday 19 December 2011

Searching For The Young Soul Rebels - Dexys Midnight Runners

Now this is how to do a great pop album; hammond organs, brassy hooks, Northern Soul inspired bass lines and unique vocals. Nothing short of spectacular.
From the opening horn blast on 'Burn It Down' through 'Geno' to the closing 'There, There My Dear' this is a brass fuelled album. Even now, thirty years after it was recorded, it sounds fresh, vibrant and soulful. Not bad for a bunch of blokes from Birmingham!
Although I had heard 'Geno' on the radio, it was 'Come On Eileen' that really introduced me to Dexys Midnight Runners. It was a school disco favourite and all the lads would take to the floor when this song came on; keen to impress the girls with our stomping , intimate knowledge of the impenetrable lyrics - hands clasped behind our backs in proper Dexys style. I don't think they were impressed. Fortunately my forays onto the dance floor are less frequent but should this song come on, I'll be there, hands behind back, stomping and mumbling to words I still don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment