Friday 2 December 2011

MTV Unplugged In New York - Nirvana

Brace yourself - I'm about to make two controversial statements. Ready?

1/. Nirvana are probably one of the most over-rated bands of all time. Apart from a couple of decent albums what have they done? Not a lot and let's face it, part of their legacy is in no small part due to the fact that the lead singer committed suicide.

2/. Their so-called benchmark album, 'Nevermind' is average. How did stealing The Pixies blueprint and shouting a little bit louder make it such a revered recording? See item 1/. above. Perhaps.

Still with me? Good then I'll continue.
Now you might get the impression that I don't like Nirvana but you couldn't be further from the truth. Like any self respecting 20 year old, when grunge was at its peak I too had a checked shirt, torn jeans and plimsolls. (Ok so I didn't have the angst that I was supposed to carry around, but this was in short supply in Hartlepool). And I had the studio albums. They were good rock albums. No more, no less.
This MTV Unplugged album is, in my opinion, their best album by far. By removing the heavy guitars and drums the songs are allowed to breathe, becoming more emotional in the process. In between the songs the banter between band members (in particular Kurt Cobain) and the audience is genuinely light hearted. The acoustic setting makes for an intimate recording. This album is a real gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment