Monday 12 December 2011

Green Mind - Dinosaur Jr.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I've never listened to this album before. Not once in over 16 years.
Near our first house we were lucky to have numerous essential amenities; cinema, chip shop, pubs and most importantly an ace record shop called Polar Bear Records. Anyway I was browsing in there one Saturday afternoon after popping out of the house, probably on the pretence of 'going for some milk'. Well one thing led to another and I bought a stack of secondhand bargain CDs, this being one of them. I bought this CD on the basis of 'Freak Scene' - an excellent single from a few years earlier and a fave at the Gemini Club in H'Pool.
In usual fashion, they got catalogued and filed ready for selection at some future date. This one never had its day in the spotlight! Until now that is.
I was sure that I wasn't going to like the album but I was wrong. Instead of the expected noise pollution, the songs are given room, particularly on tracks like 'Muck' and 'Green Mind' where the funk guitar gives the songs a kind of Chili Peppers feel.
Pleasantly surprised, I'm off now to see what else is lurking unlistened to and unloved in my collection.....

No comments:

Post a Comment