Friday 9 December 2011

Suede - Suede

I was going to start this blog by saying something controversial like, "if you imagine The Smiths and then take away the humour, wit and tongue in cheek lyrics you would end up with Suede". But I won't... Doh! Actually that is probably a bit harsh, but I never really got Suede. They seemed a little but...well...posh.
This album, however is a cracker. At the time of its release in 1993 it was acclaimed mostly for Brett Anderson's soaring voice and androgynous lyrics, but this album really belongs to guitarist Bernard Butler. It is a tour-de-force in pop and rock guitar. From the opening reverse-strummed chord of 'So Young' to the last note of 'The Next Life' it is a master class in how a guitar should drive a record. Just check out 'Pantomime Horse' and you'll see what I mean. Give it time, though, as it's a builder. Every track is infused with chiming guitars, overdriven chords, soaring solos or pop riffs.
It is often quoted as kick-starting the Britpop music scene. I'm not sure about that, and (in my opinion) better bands would follow but it did form an essential part of the musical backdrop to my final year at Poly.


No comments:

Post a Comment