Saturday 3 December 2011

Hup! - The Wonder Stuff

...and so from one of the most over-rated bands to one of the most under-rated.
So I was standing there in HMV in Middlesbrough, during a break between classes at Poly, starting at the cassette of the newly released Wonder Stuff album Hup! I had heard of some of the tracks from the previous album and really liked the single 'Don't Let Me Down Gently'. But would I like the album? Mmmm I really was not sure and wandered around the rest of the store deliberating. I paced up and down, looking at the racks and racks of cassettes and CDs absent mindedly. I was going to be late for the next class so I grabbed the cassette, rushed to the counter, bought the album and ran up Linthorpe Road to the Poly. Why was I so reticent? Absolutely no idea.
So after all that did I like the album? ...... well I've lost count of how many times I've seen The Wonder Stuff or Miles Hunt (and Erica Nockalls) live. I was there at Bescott Stadium in 1991 with 18,000 other fans, we saw them twice in one week in 1991, we were there at their 'farewell' gig at The Pheonix Festival, we were there for the reformation tour in 2000 and many times since. I have seen Miles Hunt in Leeds, York, Newcastle and Thirsk. Many times. I've bought pretty much their entire catalogue, including singles. Can't miss any B-sides can we!
....so it is safe to assume that I liked Hup! Poppy, funny, guitars a-plenty, great tunes and great to sing along to. The Groove Machine in full flow. So let's hear it for one of the great British bands. Hup! Hup! Hup! Hup! Hup! Hup! Hup!

No comments:

Post a Comment