Wednesday 30 November 2011

Help - Various Artists

I don't know if I'm allowed to include compilation albums in this project...... Well it's my project so I guess I can do what the bally ever I like!
This album always reminds me of Whitby. Huh? I hear you ask. Well we were having one of our regular Friday's off - we used to take the day off from LCC and head up to my parents, stopping off somewhere en route, before arriving on Teesside. We would then head off for a few pints and some food in the Fox Covert. It was a lovely way to end the week. Lovely that was, until it was taken over by the owner of a pole dancing club......
Anyway, on this particular occasion, we had headed over to the east coast town of Whitby where I bought the album in Woolworths. Don't ask me how I remember this stuff!
As compilation albums go, this one is a cut above. It was all recorded on one day, mixed the following and then in the shops by the following Saturday. Pretty impressive. Contributing artists range from Radiohead to Paul McCartney, Johnny Depp to Manic Steet Preachers. Not that you would know it from the CD - it was recorded so quickly that the track listing was not confirmed in time to make it into the CD sleeve.
I've listened to it a couple of times today and it really does hold together. Quite a feat, all for charity.... And Whitby was never far from my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment