Friday 4 November 2011

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Being 16 and liking Fleetwood Mac was definitely not cool. Not in the slightest. But when was the music you liked supposed to be a gauge of how cool you are? Oh, when you are a teenager of course!
But like Fleetwood Mac I certainly did. And I was not alone as a few of my friends also admitted to having a soft spot for the Californian/British soft rockers (PW - I'm looking at you!) 'Tango In The Night' was the album that did the damage with its numerous radio friendly hits and MTV friendly videos. Damn you! After playing that album to death I started my usual trawl through their back catalogue and eventually happened upon 'Rumours'.
Hearing 'Rumours' for the first time was a revelation - I had heard so many of the songs before but had not realised it. It even contained the BBC Grand Prix theme tune. Who knew? Putting the image issues aside for a moment, the album is a true classic with the main songwriters delivering some of the best rock sings committed to tape. The singles aside, the beautiful 'Songbird' and 'Gold Dust Woman' are stand out tracks - quite a feat when the writing is of such high quality.
Despite my diversion into indie music I have maintained a soft spot for Fleetwood Mac and in particular this album. Just don't tell anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment