Tuesday 1 November 2011

Laid - James

This album will always, in my mind at least, be linked with my move from Hartlepool to Leeds. The fact that it was released the very same day I started my new job with Leeds City Council obviously had a huge bearing in this, but also because it was a constant companion during the first few months in my new home.
Even buying the album was eventful. It got to lunchtime on my first day and I set off to the shops to buy a scale rule and the James album. After some searching I got the scale rule and then quickly went to get the album. Then it dawned on me that I didn't have a clue where I or my new office was. The only landmark I knew was the Corn Exchange so I set off to find that. After a bit of searching, and talking to the friendly locals, I got to the steps of the iconic building. At least from here I knew where my office was - on the opposite side of town. Trudging back up the hill I arrived in work just in time.
This album is one of James' masterpieces. Emerging from the ashes of the 'Madchester' scene this album was a cool and calm oasis amongst the beginnings of Brit Pop.
'Sometimes (Lester Piggott) is my favourite track on the album - my overriding memory of tis track is that it was playing whilst I was helping my partner move out of her shared house and into my rented apartment. It was absolutely pouring with rain and we both sat on her bedroom window ledge and watched the storm pass over; cardboard boxes piled high around us. Another new beginning and a special track on a special album.

No comments:

Post a Comment