Friday 25 November 2011

Equinoxe - Jean-Michel Jarre

In the cannon of popular music you can't get any less rock 'n roll than Jean-Michel Jarre, yet his popularity is so massive that he has sold over 80m albums. And not all of them in France. I have been a long time fan of electronic music as it combines two of my passions; technology and music, and Jarre was the front runner in this field. My Dad had the 'Oxygene' LP and it would occasionally be heard around the house, but it was not until 'Rendezvous' was released in 1986 that I started to really take notice. This was them compounded we went on holiday to France. Not that we saw him or anything but the shops were full of his records. Even the supermarkets, which was unusual at the time, sold his albums.
I eventually bought a keyboard and the opening to this album was the first (and last!) piece of music I learnt to play. It is such a beautiful phrase and reminds me of the first drops of rain - the prelude to a storm perhaps. Maybe this was intentional on his part but take a listen and you'll see what I mean.
Although 'Oxygene' is probably his most well known this is a more rounded suite of music and a relaxing way to start the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment