Thursday 3 November 2011

Autoamerican - Blondie

Being only seven years old when Blondie were turning out the hits, their career was well underway by the time I was buying music. Sure I was aware of them - I used to record the Top 40 onto cassette every week so Blondie were a regular feature in my early compilation tapes - but it was much later when I started buying their back catalogue.
I suppose the most obvious choice for my first Blondie album in this blog would've been 'Parallel Lines', their 1978 classic. But this is a much more interesting mix of tracks. Everything is in here, from the experimental opener 'Europa', the reggae tinged 'The Tide Is High', the jazz styling of 'Here's Looking At You' and (arguably) the first rap in a pop sing ever recorded in 'Rapture'.
Whilst this might make for an incoherent listen, the individual tracks are so well written that this does not seem to matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment