Tuesday 22 November 2011

OK Computer - Radiohead

In 1997 Radiohead, in releasing this album, proved that concept albums were still a relevant form of recording. Sort of. The band have repeatedly refuted this claim but there is a definite theme running through the album; consumerism, alienation, globalisation, networking and transport - modern life in fact.
For those able to stomach nearly an hour of such themes, the album is a magnificent tour de force and it's inclusion in lists of all time greatest albums is no surprise.
Personally, it will always remind me of my first construction site posting. During the summer of 1997 I was transferred from the office to a site based team in Leeds City Centre. Boy did I kick up a fuss because I did not want to go. Why should I leave the comfort of an office to work on site? So I was virtually forced against my will. This album accompanied my on my daily commute; a walk to Burley Park station, train into the city centre and then a walk to the site offices. The sun always shined. And I soon began to love my life on site and never, whilst at LC at least, never went back to an office.
Radiohead would follow up this critically acclaimed album by.... well not bothering really. Kid A, released three years later, was the sound of a once great band disappearing up their own sense of self importance. I've not heard that album in a while so maybe I will give it an airing as part of this project..... If I have plenty of patience and coffee it might just be possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment