Tuesday 15 November 2011

Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits

In 1985 my Dad, who was always keen to have the latest gadget, came home with some new black boxes. It was a Trio hi-fi (who would later become known by their real name Kenwood) and within the boxes there was this new bit of kit called a CD player. I remember seeing this on Tomorrow's World a couple of years previously but now we had one in the house. Cool!
Inextricably linked to this purchase was 'Brothers In Arms'. A truly digital album whose rim hits sound so thin and precise that they could almost be used to cut diamond. And no matter how loud it was turned up there was no audible hiss (well nearly!). But for all of the technological trickery, there are two memories of mine that are linked to this album.
The first is of me lying in the floor in front of the gas fire at my Nana's one Sunday afternoon listening to the album on my Walkman and marvelling at the guitar part in 'Ride Across The River' - deciding there and then that I wanted to learn how to play the guitar.
The second is of a home movie of my friends miming to 'Money For Nothing'. It was probably the finest line up in rock history - Dave on the drums (foot stool), Shaun singing (hair brush) and Yosa playing the iconic guitar part (bed pan). It was quite a sight and if any of them upset me it's going straight on YouTube!
Of all my albums this is one of those that has influenced me a great deal; igniting my love of the guitar, giving me a greater appreciation of strong lyrics in songwriting and establishing my fondness for albums over individual songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment