Friday 25 November 2011

Southside - Texas

[Saturday 26 Nov 2011] As soon as I saw 'I Don't Want A Lover' on The Chart Show early in 1989 I knew that it ticked all the right boxes; guitar driven, blues tinged, pop hooks.... and a female singer. Now that was unusual. In fact I am struggling to recall any other young rock band at that time that was fronted by a woman. (I'm sure there are plenty but it's the end of a long week and it's early in the morning so please forgive me).
The album followed in March of that year and received heavy rotation, in radio parlance, on the car stereo. I think most of us loved the album, although KC did comment once, whilst driving around the country lanes that surrounded Hartlepool, that it was good except the drums were rubbish. I hadn't heard such a load of cods wallop in all my years. The album was perfect.
Prior to the album coming out, Texas did a small UK tour and played The Riverside in Newcastle. Of course we all hurriedly bought tickets (without any thought to transport as usual) and our very accommodating parents agreed to drop us off and pick us up again. With this being our first gig, we had no idea when it would finish do agreed to be collected from Central Station at 11:00 pm. Oops. Mistake number 1. The concert did not finish until nearer midnight but as we were enjoying it so much we did not even think about leaving early. Mistake number 2. When we eventually did leave, clutching out merchandised T-Shirts, we decided to take the Metro which would carry us swiftly to our rendezvous. Mistake 3. It was shut. We eventually arrived well after midnight to be greeted by a less than happy parent. It was outrageous behaviour but at least the gig was good!
Texas or course went on to bigger things but this album will remain a favourite due to the memorable events that surrounded it. I've enjoyed my revisit to Southside but twenty two years too late, I have to agree with KC - the drums are rubbish!

No comments:

Post a Comment