Wednesday 7 March 2012

Us And Us Only - The Charlatans

One of the great things about working on a construction site, apart from being able to watch diggers go up and down all day, is that it offers a great way to mark the passage of time. By spending a whole chunk of time in one location, which job you were on when certain things happened help enormously to recollect which year it was etc. Or at least it does for me. Am I odd? Don't answer that!

But for a music obsessive there is a downside to this approach - I can't recall important, life changing events in this fashion, but I can remember what album I bought or which one was on heavy rotation when on a particular construction site. Think I'm making this up? Here are a few;

OK Computer (Radiohead) - Leeds City Centre Loop 4B Phase 2
All That You Can't Leave Behind (U2) - Leeds Millennium Square
Heavy Soul (Paul Weller) - Woodhouse Junction Improvement
The Bends (Radiohead) - A64 Whitewell Farm S278

And so it was with 'Us And Us Only'. This was bought during the A64 Seacroft Improvements contract and played regularly on my journey to and from work. When I hear the album now I can't help but remember the events of that contract; having to redesign the retaining wall on site due to the presence of a gas main, very strong winds, a JCB pulling off the road surface when trying to open a manhole cover, having to set out the location of the subway units because the Contractor's engineer stormed off site in a huff and big fried breakfasts. Happy days. I wouldn't go back though....

The Charlatans are probably one of the most enduring bands - consistently producing great albums, and this one was no exception - it was going to have to be to follow the critically acclaimed 'Tellin' Stories'. It didnt disappoint as it took the 'Telling' Stories' blueprint and expanded it to create a much wider sonic landscape. By far the best track is 'The Blind Stagger'... no wait...is 'Watching You'.....errr I mean 'My Beautiful Friend'.....Great songs on another great album.

So site work is cold weather, rain, mud, obstructive contractors, constant design changes, long days (and nights), working weekends, pressure to meet programmes despite everything else.... Nah I wouldn't go back, but I miss it all the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment