Friday 30 March 2012

Up - R.E.M.

York. 2006. Like any typical night out, beer flowed, conversation took on its own life and time passed too quickly. Then as one pint became five the discussion turned to putting the world to rights and other such critical topics. Music. Or to be more accurate 'My band's bigger than your band'. On one side we had the U2 camp and in the other was the R.E.M. contingent. It was all a bit pointless really but at the same time fully engrossing. Arguments, counter points, points of view and debate. All very civilised..... and surprisingly I was on the side of U2. How did that happen? I must've been in one of my 'Achtung Baby' moods. I couldn't be persuaded. I defended U2 with the ferocity of a fighter. Not that it came to blows. Not quite. At least I don't think so. And I don't think I have ever been so wrong in my life. (Quiet Sarah!)

Even at their alleged low point, R.E.M. produced the most wonderful music. 'Up' was supposed to be a difficult album and the press were only too keen to make a big deal about diminishing sales. Like it matters. Any album with a track like 'Daysleeper' can't be all that bad. And it's not. I love this album and it's among my favourites. R.E.M. were supposed to split after the departure of Bill Berry. But didn't. And like a three legged dog learning to walk again with a they ultimately triumphed and delivered this low-key masterpiece. Brooding, reflective and quiet. This was new territory for the band and their fans.

So if this is supposedly their low point then it only really serves to highlight the peaks.

At least now if I find myself in the position of having to take sides in a U2 v R.E.M. bar fight discussion I know where I'll stand - defending R.E.M. to the hilt.....unless I'm in one of my 'Achtung Baby' phases in which case all bets are off!


No comments:

Post a Comment