Saturday 10 March 2012

Dusk - The The

In life we often experience stressful times; exams, driving tests, weddings, presentations to peers, illnesses. They come in many guises and I've experienced my fair share. But these all pale into insignificance compared to an event I experienced in 1994. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it was the anticipation of the event rather than the event itself. You see in 1994 I was to meet the first of Sarah's family members! There was no way to prepare for this - no notes, dry runs, mocks or tips. Just turn up and be yourself... I was doomed!

But first there was the small matter of a The The concert to attend. I had sort of double booked myself; I'd bought tickets for the gig the same weekend that Sarah's sister and her husband were visiting Leeds. I'd promised to meet them but didn't want to miss the gig. So Neil and I went to the gig whilst Sarah went to the pub with her relations. I was then to meet up with them afterwards whilst Neil....Sh*t I'd forgot to tell him I was doing a runner after the gig! What a mate I was!

So we went to the gig, and what a gig it was - the band were on fire and blasted through some top The The tunes. As the lights came up I said a temporary farewell to Neil and rushed off the pub, leaving Neil to find his way back to my shared house. I don't know what Sarah's sister must've though of me, turning up to the pub at 10:30, a bit dishevelled and sweaty in a The The t-shirt. I needn't have worried about meeting them though as they were very nice and welcoming and the rest of the night went well. Phew. I'd passed the first real test! The big one was to come, meeting Sarah's mum, but that's a story for another time....

'Dusk' is a great album and features some of Johnny Marr's funkiest and bluesiest playing. It is a strong set of songs and maybe Matt Johnson's most accessible. 'Helpline Operator' and 'Dogs of Lust' are worth the entrance fee alone - dirty blues songs with great guitar riffs. If you can't change the world change yourself.

I don't think I've ever apologised properly for leaving Neil in the lurch that night in 1994. If you're reading this - sorry. It was a great night though. A super gig followed by a few beers with some genuinely nice people.


No comments:

Post a Comment