Wednesday 14 March 2012

Homebrew - Neneh Cherry

Humble pie - I've eaten a fair bit of it over the time, especially when it comes to my opinion on musical matters. Over the years I have done more U-turns than a professional politician; heavily criticising something one moment only to turn round later and praise it. Well one can change their mind can't they?

And so it was with Neneh Cherry. When s mate bought her debut album I guffawed heartily. Why? Well clearly she was not earnest enough nor indie, or even earnest indie to earn my respect. No this was dance music and it also had rapping in it! So it deserved my full scale derision. I laid it on pretty thick without really listening to the music. It didn't fit my music template so therefore it was rubbish.

Little did I know that a full portion of humble pie, with a side helping of humble sauce was bring prepared. How was I supposed to know that none other than Michael Stipe would co-write and guest on one of the tracks on her follow up album? No one warned me. I must've missed the memo. Obviously as soon as I found out the album was added to my shopping list.....

I've since learned that music is a broad church and I enjoy all kinds; pop, rock, metal, folk, orchestral, indie and yes, even dance and rap (although the latter in small doses!). And what a fine album this is. As well as the excellent 'Trout' which features Mr Stipe, the others are equally enjoyable. A little bit eclectic perhaps, but enjoyable all the same.

Although I have learnt my lesson over the years, I sometimes forget. So if you ever catch me being over critical of something.....just ignore me and wait..... and prepare the humble pie as I'm sure I'll be needing that.


No comments:

Post a Comment