Monday 26 March 2012

So - Peter Gabriel

Given that I played this album to death in the 80s, I'm surprised it has taken me until now to include it in my blog. So it's time to make amends.

I don't think there is a finer mainstream album from the 1980s; one where pop tunes rub shoulders with more experimental and darker themes. From the big hits such the classic singles 'Sledgehammer' and 'Big Time' to the moody 'Mercy Street' and 'We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)', the latter title being a reference to the psychology experiments of Stanley Milgram where 37 of the 40 volunteers administered electric shocks to fellow humans - all on the say so of an authority figure. Not the usual subject matter for a pop song.

'So' was also one of the early 'must-own' CDs. The clarity and precision of the digital format really helped enhance the recording. With Daniel Lanois at the controls this is no surprise I suppose.

Above all, it is one of those rare treats; an 80s pop album with intelligence, soul and heart and one that has stood the test of time. If you've not heard it before or, like me, not played it in a while go grab a copy and give it an air. 80s pop music as it was meant to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment