Thursday 15 March 2012

Build A Rocket Boys - Elbow

There is something quite special about Elbow. But what is it? Could it be the interesting and inventive music? Maybe. Or is it the wonderfully rounded yet powerful vocals of Guy Garvey?. Perhaps it is the playful use of English language in the lyrics? Easily the best writing this side of The Smiths. That might be it. But wait - it could be that the songs are just damn good. Yes that's it.... Or is it all of the above?

Whatever it is, the result is a consistently good set of albums, singles and live performances. And 'Build A Rocket Boys' is no exception.

Last January I was 'volunteered' to attend a residential training course near Coventry. I know what a place to attend a course. Maybe someone was telling me something? Not being accustomed to being away from home for work I was not looking forward to the trip - and I was going to have to repeat this once a month for three months. Yuk. The drive south on a Monday morning was particular awful - hitting commuter time around the major conurbations. But it would've been a lot worse had it not been for this album. It kept me company on the journey and in my hotel room after the course - thankfully as there was bugger all else to do, unless jogging down a motorway floats your boat. Nope for me it was tea, biscuits and Elbow.

As soon as I heard the first track 'The Birds' I knew I was going get on famously with the album. Every bit an epic opener. But the high quality songwriting doesn't stop there. 'Lippy Kids' is a poignant paean to adolescent times whereas 'Open Arms' is such a crowd pleaser and (whisper it) stadium friendly anthem that U2 are surely kicking themselves that they didn't write it.

Still not convinced? Well perhaps the clincher is that, whilst you are listening to the album, you could be supping a 'Build A Rocket Boys' ale? How many other albums can you say that of? So raise a glass with me to one of the jewels of the British music scene, cherishing every note and sip and smile because you are going to want to do it all again! Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment