Friday 16 March 2012

Songs Of Faith And Devotion - Depeche Mode

Have you ever liked something so much that it pretty much spoils everything else? Although you can kind of appreciate other things when they come along they are always going to fall short. Not measure up.

I was like this for me with 'Violator' from Depeche Mode. I loved it. Unconditionally (well almost - still don't like the running order). So when the follow up was announced I was beside myself with excitement and expectation. This then turned to apprehension, closely followed by nervousness. What if it was rubbish? Not as good? Not perfect? It was a big ask. No it would be fine - they'd had three years to perfect this album. A follow up to one of the greatest albums of all time. No sweat.

So when I played it for the first time .... well it was alright I suppose. Some decent songs but it's main failing was.... it was not 'Violator'. What a crime. What a disappointment. I totally missed that 'I Feel You' was every bit as good as 'Personal Jesus', that 'Walking In My Shoes' was a really strong track and that the album was just as dark and brooding as its predecessor. I was blinded by the brilliance of 'Violator' that it cast a shadow over this fine album.

I now know, though, that whilst not being quite as good, it is still a brilliant album. No it's better than that - it's perfect. Well nearly.....

No comments:

Post a Comment