Wednesday 28 March 2012

Thirst For Romance - Cherry Ghost

Cherry Ghost put paid to the rumour that nothing good has ever come out of Bolton......only joking.

I was 'loaned' this album for evaluation purposes only. And boy did I evaluate it. It was evaluated to death. It got to the point where I probably knew it better than the band themselves. But I was missing something. I didn't feel like I really knew the album, despite having played it over and over. So I did the honest thing and followed up my evaluation period with a proper CD. And there it sat in the shelf, still in the cellophane wrapper, until today.

When I dusted off my 'Thirst For Romance' CD it got me to thinking; what are digital downloads doing to our listening habits? Does the fact that I like to own a physical object put me into the minority? Just because I like to pour over the album sleeve whilst listening to the music doesn't necessarily mean that I am odd? Does it? But surely knowing who played bass on track three is worth knowing? And isn't the list of acknowledgements a great place to learning something more about the band? Maybe. Or maybe I am increasingly in the minority.

The one thing that the format can't change though is that a good album will still be good and conversely, a poor album will remain poor. Thankfully 'Thirst For Romance' is a great album be it in a downloaded format or on CD. I know because I have tried both!

So if this blog has tempted you to try the album and you're wondering whether to get it on a physical or digital medium - let me pose this question. If you don't get the CD you might never know which tracks we're recorded in Cheshire and which we're laid down in Stockport. Without that knowledge how on earth would you sleep at night?


No comments:

Post a Comment