Thursday 29 March 2012

The Ragpicker's Dream - Mark Knopfler

After nearly twenty five years of playing the guitar, or at least trying to, I've finally got around to my first lesson. Well better late than never I suppose. Except there are twenty five years of bad habits to undo....and twenty five years worth of catching up to do. So in honour of this momentous occasion, in my life anyway, here's an album from the guy who set me off.

I could go on and on about the sheer clarity and melodic nature of his style - really distinctive. But that would be too obvious. What I don't think he gets enough credit for is the sheer quality of his songwriting. Sure Dire Straits had whopping hits but since their split his songwriting has gone from strength to strength and this album showcases some of his best.

Whether it's rock on the opener 'Why Aye Man', the gentle swing of 'A Place Where We Used To Live', the Celtic blues of 'Fare Thee Well Northumberland' or the driving pop rock of 'Coyote' the constant is warm, intelligent and occasionally wry lyrics. But if you press me.....the guitar playing on this album is superlative. Just check out 'Marbletown' for a demonstration on how an acoustic guitar should be played.

So what made me admire Knopfler so much that I picked up a guitar? Yes the guitar playing had a large influence but there was more then that. Perhaps it was the headband?......Nah. Unusually it was the absence of certain things that made me gravitate towards him. No showing off to the audience. No posturing. No playing with his ear or other facial appendages. No double necked guitars. No racks of OTT FX pedals and definitely no rock garb. Unless you can count the headband. Just honest playing.

Refreshing. Right I hope you'll excuse me as I have to go and practice..... after all I've got a bit of catching up to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment