Tuesday 3 January 2012

Vauxhall and I - Morrissey

With returning to work this morning after a lovely Christmas break I was feeling a bit down so I thought a bit of Mozza would cheer me up!
'Vauxhall and I' was, perhaps surprisingly, one of the first CDs that S bought me. Maybe be she was telling me something, after all the lead single was called 'The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get'! Only joking! For this reason alone though it has a special place in my collection. The other reason is that it is rather good.
In fact 'Vauxhall And I' is perhaps Morrissey's best solo outing. The witty and occasionally dour lyrics are present but this time he has remembered to write some tunes. For once you get the impression the he had not just written a song around a humorous title.
It is probably the highlight in his solo career - later releases have been patchy and he is now in danger of becoming better known for his suspect views and quips than his music. Almost a caricature of himself. Shame.


No comments:

Post a Comment