Thursday 5 January 2012

Savage - Eurythmics

According to my iTunes listening record, I have not heard this album since 2005 so I was well overdue. For quite a mainstream pop band this was quite an experimental album, almost a concept album of sorts. When this album was released in 1987 an accompanying VHS Cassette was also issued. Needless to say, I purchased this as well. A video was made for each of the songs on the album, and when viewed it sort of made a short movie. Well sort of... There was a theme running through anyway. Or at least that is how I remember it.
Listening to it again today, although some of the songs do sound a little dated, this is mainly due to the 80sproduction rather than the quality of the songs or their recording. Despite this, tracks such as 'Beethoven (I Love To Listen To)' are very individual and was a brave choice for a single. Very different and as with the rest of the songs on the album, it serves as a reminder that the Eurythmics were more than a pop band. Yes they had hit singles but there was an experimental, darker side to them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment