Tuesday 17 January 2012

The House of Love - The House of Love (The Butterfly Album)

The landscape of popular music, whilst being wondrous and varied, is littered with the remains of bands that have fallen by the wayside; often overlooked or forgotten.

The House of Love are one of those such bands. Critically acclaimed but criminally overlooked. Arriving on the scene in 1987 with the debut single 'Shine On' they were something a little different; melodic, melancholy and serious. I have to admit that I was not convinced at first but not because I did not like the single but because it was championed by Scotchy. I did not have anything against Scotchy, in fact we got on really well, but he seemed to take great pleasure in being 'alternative'. He went to great lengths to cultivate an image of being a little different - yet he lived in a lovely detached house in Hartlepool. And so when he presented the gang with a single from a new band he had heard, probably on John Peel, it was met with extreme suspicion. Or at least is was by me - and it was killing me as I loved the single but just dared not admit it. I'm shallow like that! But he would have the last laugh as my pride took over. Amazingly they were coming to Hartlepool. Yes Hartlepool!. But I played my part so well that I chose not to go. Idiot!

Over the course of the next few singles I found my resolve waning so by the time this album came round in 1990 my defences were well and truly down. I loved it immediately - and who wouldn't as there is not a single duff track on it. Shimmering guitars, reverb, echo, the great voice of Guy Chadwick, top tunes and great production. What's not to like? I have nearly forgotten about this album until I overheard a friend in work singing 'Beatles and The Stones' - one of the standout tracks. But there are so many others; 'Shine On', 'Hedonist', 'Never'.... well all of it really.

But do yourself a favour. If you are ever in the position where you want to do something but are afraid what others might think. Just do it. You never know - you might just live to regret it if you don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment