Sunday 8 January 2012

Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls

When I first heard Indigo Girls I did not know it was them a d I wasn't. I'll explain.
Being a keen Wonder Stuff fan I collected everything they released so in 1993 I bought the 'Full Of Life' CD single. One of the B-sides on that particular single was a song called 'Closer To Fine'. It was such a classic Stuffies song that I didn't even think to check out the songwriting credits on the CD so for years I though it was one of their own compositions. It was only when I read an article about the Indigo Girls that my error was corrected. Oops. Either way it is a great song.

Writing this blog today got me to thinking about cover versions that are sit so comfortably with the host artist that it could easily be assumed that it is one of their own, making mistakes easy to make...and here are some others:-

'Because The Night' - Patti Smith (Bruce Springsteen)
'Superman' - R.E.M. (The Clique)
'I Fought The Law' - The Clash (The Crickets)
'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' - William Shatner (The Beatles)

..errr perhaps not the last one....

'Indigo Girls' is a great album and despite opening with arguable the strongest song, the aforementioned 'Closer To Fine', the rest does not disappointed. Produced by the peerless Scott Litt and containing performances from Berry, Buck, Mills and Stipe (Tracks 3 and 6 fact fans) it is worth seeking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment