Friday 6 January 2012

The Christians - The Christians

For an 80s mainstream hit album this is actually quite soulful. Sure the production had aged a little but it is such a strong set of songs that it doesn't really matter. So strong in fact that they struggled to follow it up and became a victim to the classic 2nd album syndrome. Strong sales but less critical acclaim. Their debut though is a totally different animal - there is not a single duff song on the CD and each one could have been a 7" release.
I bought the 'Ideal World' single in December 1987 and for some reason I had convinced myself that I was going to get into trouble for making the purchase. Something to do with spending all of my pocket money on CDs and having to go back for further subs. Mmmm. Anyway because of this I felt that I could only listen to it at night, under the cover of darkness using headphones. I even hid the CD in one if my drawers under a pile of cassettes. Nonsense really. I think I did eventually play this out in the open but for me that song in particular reminds me of nocturnal auditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment