Saturday 7 January 2012

Real Life - Joan As Policewoman

This album has quite a strange connection for me.

Throughout 2006 and into 2007 I regularly drive up to Hamsterley Forest to go mountain biking. Alone. This all came to an abrupt stop, quite literally, when one Sunday in January 2007 I crashed off on the fastest part of the course. Travelling at around 38mph and hitting hard packed gravel was never going to be a good thing and it resulted in me shattering my wrist. I was now faced with the problem of getting off the hill and back to the car - which was 5 miles away. Alone.

Obviously I made it but not without some difficulty - riding one handed where possible and walking when not.
The next obstacle was how to get home - I had the car. I could only thing of one thing and that was to ring DB. Luckily there was a public phone near the car park as mobile phone signals were non-existent. Without hesitating he agreed to drive with M to our house, pick up S, and then drive another 45min to the forest. When they arrived I burst into tears of relief; in a lot of pain but safe. I will always remain very grateful for rescuing me.

During my three days in hospital I had my wrist pinned, plated and potted and was released. I also had time to contemplate the dangers of biking alone and I haven't done it since....well not much anyway!

So what's the point of all this? Well during my drives up to the forest I regularly played this album. Nearly every trip.

It is a great album - avant garde in places mixed with interesting musical arrangements and slow but melodic songs. Not something you would normally associate with hurtling through a forest and down steep hills. But it is for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment