Sunday 15 January 2012

Raising Sand - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

I don't know how, but Led Zeppelin passed me completely by...well not quite completely - I was aware that 'Whole Lotta Love' was the theme tune to Top Of The Pops and that it is forbidden to play 'Stairway To Heaven' in guitar shops. But that is my sum total of knowledge of their catalogue. Apparently they were very influential to a diverse number of bands and solo artists.... but obviously not to me! I decided a few years ago to make the effort to listen to some of their earlier albums so bought cheap second hand versions of LZ I and II. The CDs have not left their cases yet - maybe I should dust them off....sometime.

I am familiar with Alison Krauss' material, especially with Union Station. She has a high register voice that is very pure and I was interested to see how it would sound next to Plant's more rock growl. Surely a case of chalk and cheese? Actually no - they sound great together and this collection of country and bluegrass tinged songs suit the partnership perfectly.

I feel like I'm ready to have a go at Led Zeppelin. If anyone is reading this is a fan, and the odds are that someone will be as the whole planet except me seem to be find of the long haired rockers, a starting point would be appreciated!




No comments:

Post a Comment