Friday 13 January 2012

A Bronx Tale - Original Soundtrack

Movies have always been a huge part of my upbringing so it is only natural that I'm also an afficionado of soundtracks, providing that they are compiled well and form an integral part of the film. I am also a huge fan of Robert De Niro so I suppose 'A Bronx Tale' was bound to tick all of the right boxes.

Listening to this soundtrack reminds me of two key things;

First of all it reminds me of a holiday we had in New York and Boston in 1994. It was a really memorable holiday; travelling with friends BV and RPG, meeting up with MJ (the Karate Lawman) in the foyer of our hotel and then saying good-bye and immediately going to sleep, phone calls from home about Bell's Palsy, accidentally saying 'Cheers!' to the bar tender in Cheers! bar, MJ flooding our hotel room whilst getting a shower and smuggling back my own weight in laserdiscs - the forerunner for DVDs and essentially 12" CDs - and one of them was 'A Bronx Tale'. It was a bargain and well worth facing extradition for!

The second thing it that this album reminds me of is arriving at my parents on a Friday night, usually having travelled straight up from work... or if we were lucky, having taken the day off work and detoured via the Brymoor Ice Cream Parlour. Anyway within moments of arriving, the red wine would be opened and this CD would be inserted into the CD player...."Oooo on the street of the Bronx...".

I don't intend to dissect the movie here except to say it is one of De Niro's last great films, and his first as director. The soundtrack is a great collection of music; doo-wop, rock 'n roll, soul and Jimi Hendrix.

Right that enough from me - it's Friday night, 'A Bronx Tale' is playing again and there's a glass of wine with my name on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment