Monday 24 October 2011

Violator - Depeche Mode

I mentioned a few blogs ago that I 'accidentally' assimilated one of my Dad's CDs into my collection. This, I'm ashamed to say, was not an isolated incident.
When I moved down to Hull in 1991 I 'accidentally' took with me my sister's 'Immaculate Collection' by Madonna. I don't really know why I had it but there it was in my box of CDs.
My house mate Alan had 'Violator' and had played it so much that he was getting bored of it. I loved the album so offered him a swap of any CD in my collection. He happened to chose the only CD that was technically not mine. Not wanting to let simple legalities get in the way of a good deal the swap took place. As far as I was concerned it was a win-win situation - not sure my sister would've seen it that way though!
For such a great album there is one glaring fault - the track sequencing is awful. Why is 'Sweetest Perfection' the second track? It doesn't fit. The correct running list should be 1 - 4 - 3 - 5 - 6 - 2 - 7 - 8 - 9. Just try it. Much better.
Apart from that the album is a great, dark and brooding synth driven album that really benefits from being played at a loud volume. Not sure I could say the same about Madonna..... perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment