Saturday 29 October 2011

The Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow

'How dare the Premier ignore my invitations?
He'll have to go
So, too, the bunch he luncheons with
It's second on my list of things to do'. Surely this is one of the best opening verses of an album? It certainly is an attention grabber.
This album will always remind me of visiting a friend in Gourock as this is where I heard it for the first time. In true 'me' style I largely ignored it. In my defence the passenger seat of a VW Golf is never the best place to audition an album, especially when there is stunning scenery to gawp at!
One of my musical regrets this year is that, due to a poor knowledge of midland geography, I missed their tour. I was away on a residential training course near Coventry and whilst there I saw a magazine advert for their tour. I was annoyed that I had missed them in Newcastle and considered my options. They were playing that very night in Birmingham but that was 'too far'. I wish I'd thought to look at a map because I could've comfortably got to Birmingham in 40 minutes. In my mind Birmingham was still several hours down the M1. Doh!
If they overlook Darlington the next time they tour I'll make sure to look at a road atlas!

No comments:

Post a Comment