Tuesday 11 October 2011

Automatic For The People - R.E.M.

Released in October 1992 this was another landmark for R.E.M. I remember wandering around Woolworths in Hartlepool the weekend before the release the following Monday when I noticed that they had already put it on the shelves! Unbelievable. Grabbing a copy I rushed home to listen to what would become one of my favourite albums. Not a single duff track from the moody opener 'Drive' to the sublime 'Find A River'.

I went on to see R.E.M. a number of times over the years, even travelling to Munich and blagging a spot in the VIP section. I am really glad I made the effort to see them as they announced their split earlier this year.

I am sure that other, if not all, of their albums will be listened to as part of this experiment but Automatic For The People is a perfect album to start my year in music.

No comments:

Post a Comment