Monday 31 October 2011

Easy Pieces - Lloyd Cole And The Commotions

In many ways my Dad and I have similar tastes in music. This became really evident when, in 1986, I decided to buy him this album for his birthday. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending upon your point of view, he'd already bought it for my birthday - which was two days earlier. At least I got given the CD version whilst I had only bought it on cassette!
This album has often been quoted as an example of the 'difficult second album syndrome' but whilst it does come a distant second to their debut, it contains some great pop gems. Obviously 'Lost Weekend' is a great single but 'Cut Me Down', 'Brand New Friend' and 'Pretty Gone' are worthy inclusions. Oh and check out the Beatles reference on the last verse of the opener 'Rich'.

No comments:

Post a Comment