Wednesday 12 October 2011

Revolver - The Beatles

I suppose this is where it all started - my love of music and in particular guitar driven pop/rock.

Although The Beatles had long since split up, in the late 1970s I was introduced to this album by my dad who was a keen record collector. I would often hear this playing downstairs and come down to listen to it - I began to believe that it had medicinal properties as it cured stomach aches and banished bad moods. More than likely though was that my Dad had realised that it would cheer me up and make me forget my imagined illness! Despite being only 8 years old, I was eventually given responsibility for looking after this record. I used to lie in my bed and pour over the sleeve whilst listening to the combined talents of the Fab Four, mesmerised by the depth of the music. To my horror and shame I accidentally scratched side two only weeks after becoming custodian. Thankfully it did not affect the playing of the record so I never owned up!

Released in August 1966 this is very much a watershed album for The Beatles. It combined driving guitar riffs with melodic bass playing, added samples, backward tape loops and orchestral instruments. They even managed to sandwich a nursery rhyme into the middle in the form of 'Yellow Submarine'. Every track is special but my particular favourite is 'She Said She Said' with a great opening riff and fantastic vocal harmonies.

Pop music would never be the same as The Beatles set sail for pepperland and beyond, a glimpse of which could be heard in the closing track 'Tomorrow Never Knows'.

As a 8 year old this record was truly magical. As a 41 year old it has lost none of its appeal and I still hear new things in it every time I listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment