Tuesday 18 October 2011

La Sera - La Sera

[18 Oct 2011] Whilst listening to this album this morning I started to wonder how did a relatively unknown musician from New York record some music that ended up entertaining me on my journey to work? For anyone who is an avid listener of music perhaps this is a familiar tale.
It all started with Jools Holland show on BBC 2. On this show were a band called Rilo Kiley who were showcasing songs from their new album 'Under The Backlight'.
Rather impressed by this I bought the new album and, like any self-respecting music aficionado, I began collecting their back catalogue. When this was complete I then started collecting the output from the individual band members including their lead singer Jenny Lewis. After an album with The Watson Twins and a solo release under her own name, both of which I bought, she released an album with Jonathan Rice, called 'I'm Having Fun Now'. To promote this album they announced a small UK tour and so it was on a wintry November night last year, in a little club in Newcastle, that we saw Jenny & Johnny. The support act that night was, you guessed it, La Sera. Being particularly impressed by this small three piece band I bought their debut single and the whole process started again....buying the album and looking into their previous bands musical allegiances. The work of a music collector is never really done!
Anyway the debut album takes 50s style rock 'n roll and puts it through a West Coast Beach Boys style filter. 12 songs lasting only 27 minutes might not sound like value for money but when they are this much fun who cares!

No comments:

Post a Comment