Friday 14 October 2011

Strangeways Here We Come - The Smiths

I really didn't like The Smiths. Not at all. I mean what was the point? I suppose the music was alright but who was that bloke croning over the top and spoiling it all? I was not convinced. My dad even offered to take me and a friend to see them live for my 16th birthday. Much to my friends annoyance I turned down the offer.......then my dad bought this album and slowly and begrudgingly I started to appreciate them more and more.
It started with the jaunty 'Girlfriend In A Coma' when it became really obvious to me that here was a lyricist with a dry sense of humour. In 1993, when I moved out the CD 'accidentally' ended up in one of my boxes.
I think this is, perhaps controversially, a better album than 'The Queen Is Dead' and remains one of my favourites. One day I will buy my own copy and might even get around to returning my Dad's CD!

No comments:

Post a Comment