Thursday 13 October 2011

Technique - New Order

Like a lot of people I was introduced to New Order by the single 'Blue Monday' except I was about four years behind!
I first heard the track on Annie Nightingale's request show on Radio 1 around 1987. Despite being behind the times as soon as I heard the then current single 'True Faith' I was hooked (no pun intended!)
'Technique' was released in February 1989 which at the time seemed odd; the album is drenched in disco beats and feels very much like a summer album. I was never keen on the lead single 'Fine Time' but the rest of the album is pure indie pop at its best. Whether they intended to nick almost an entire Cure track for 'All The Way' is irrelevant as the album joyfully bounds from one track to the next.
It was certainly a welcome distraction from my 'A' level studies, which were in their final year, and brought a bit of Spanish sun into a cold north-east winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment