Saturday 15 October 2011

Seventh Tree - Goldfrapp

Jim Kerr once sang 'I couldn't sleep a wink last night...' and that was why I found myself listening to Goldfrapp at 3am this morning. I woke up for no particular reason and try as I might I couldn't get back to sleep. Goldfrapp was the answer!
I've not heard this for a while so had forgotten just how wonderful this album was. Normally known for their heavy electronic based dance music, this album is was a marked departure for the band.
There is still a lot of use of electronic instruments but they are used to create a pastoral, warm sound rather than hard edged dance music. The album does have upbeat moments but these are soft edged pop rather than stomping disco beats. A perfect choice for a impromptu, dead of night album audition!
Thankfully I just managed to hear the whole album through as by the time the last bars of 'Monster Love' were being played I was slipping into sleep.....

No comments:

Post a Comment