Sunday 2 September 2012

Prince Charming - Adam and the Ants

I bet there's not many people who listen to Jeff Buckley one day and then flip to Adam and the Ants the next? Well all I can say is that they're missing out!

Seriously though, I was expecting to hate every minute of this album. Why? Well some things left the 80s with their cool intact and others...... while others should've been left there. I had 'Prince Charming' firmly in the latter camp. But first some background, or back-story as some would have it.....

The release of this album in 1981 was a BIG deal. It was the talk of the playground and to an impressionable eleven year old this was my universe. Or at least it was for that week. Everyone seemed to be Adam and the Ants mad. We had not witnessed anything like it. A band with a huge stylistic statement; one where every angle has been considered and implements with meticulous care. It was also the first real band to have a television presence. Appearances, be it in the studio or their music video where a huge discussion point on the school yard the next day. If you didn't see it then you were a loser. On the outside looking in. Yes the parochial town of Hartlepool had the Ant bug. And I was not immune to it either. In fact I was in far too deep. I remember one particular day when Neil Alderson approached me and casually informed me that Adam Ant had a face cancer. What? But how? Well the rumour was that his trademark white stripe had reacted with his skin and was eating away his face. I know. I know. But to an eleven year old this was devastating news. The rest of the day was spent from within a worried haze. Couldn't the doctors save this genius? Would he be disfigured? What about the next album? Nice to see I had my priorities right back then!

'Prince Charming' was the most lavish album I had ever seen. From its glossy, heavy gatefold sleeve to the luxurious typeface and design. This was an even album. In fact it was my first event album. And one that occupied my time for a long while. The album was played, the sleeve poured over. There wasn't anything I didn't know about this magnificent piece of art. Yes art.

Some records from the early 80s are revered, even today; The Jam, Dexy's Midnight Runners, The Clash for example, whilst others have largely been forgotten. They lack that essential kudos. So yes I was expecting to really dislike this album. But you know what I don't. In fact I'll go as far as to say that it's actually rather good. It's inventive, off beat with some great songs. Everyone in their 40s will remember 'Prince Charming' and 'Stand and Deliver' . But what about the wild west influenced '5 Guns West' or the mysterious  'Picasso Visita El Planeta De Los Simios'. Forgotten these? Well what are you waiting for - it's time to reconnect with your antness!





No comments:

Post a Comment