Sunday 30 September 2012

A Far Cry From Dead - Townes Van Zandt

"Livin' on the road my friend
Was gonna keep you free and clean
Now you wear skin like iron
And your breath's as hard as kerosene"

Townes Van Zandt is one of those singer songwriters who did not receive the recognition that his talents deserved - a songwriter's songwriter if you like.

I first came across the Texas Troubador when I was listening to one of those free CDs that came with Mojo Magazine, courtesy of my Dad. In amongst other country-tinged tracks was 'Waiting Around To Die'. From the title you can guess that it's not a jolly song but it grabbed me. With Townes husky, whiskey-addled voice, a gently strummed guitar and sorrowful lyrics it's a deliciously downbeat song;

"I came of age and I met a girl
in a Tuscaloosa bar
She cleaned me out and hid it on the sly
I tried to kill the pain
I bought some wine and hopped a train
It was easier than just waiting around to die"

Magnetic in its misery. It continues on a similar vein until the last verse;

"Now I'm out of prison
I got me a friend at last
He don't drink, or cheat, or steal, or lie
His name's codeine
he's the finest thing I've seen
and together we're gonna wait around to die."

I can't see this one hitting the top 40 anytime soon - unless of course Adele decides to cover it. Now that would be worth hearing!


No comments:

Post a Comment