Saturday 15 September 2012

Horses - Patti Smith

Some albums are great whilst others have greatness bestowed upon them. For a long while I thought that this album was firmly in the latter category. If everyone was saying how good it was then surely it can't be that good? I'd assumed that it wasn't and kept well clear. Anyway I wouldn't like it because it was too punk, too difficult and

And then I read more and more about the album. Not actually listening to it but reading about it. Eventually I plucked up the courage and went out and bought it. What would happen if I actually liked it? Maybe the world would be knocked of its axis or maybe I'd just add another great record to my collection.

In places 'Horses' is not an easy listen but essential nonetheless. Part punk, part jazz it encapsulated the 1970s New York music scene within its 43 minute running time.  There is the reworking of Them's 'Gloria', the almost free form jazz of 'Birdland' and the new-wave 'Free Money'. The highlight on the album appears on what would've been side two. The suite of music called 'Land' is a blast from start to finish and despite its 9 minute running length it never outstays its welcome.

It's not difficult to hear within these songs just how influential the album was - strains of The Smiths, R.E.M., The Cure and Talking Heads fizz out from the speakers. So yes I like it and admit that I should have listened to it much sooner but better late than never I suppose. Yes I can be stubborn but I always admit it when I wrong.....well almost always!






No comments:

Post a Comment